Monday, February 20, 2012

I want to sell things to the UK over Ebay - but I live in Miami; Do I have to pay import/export taxes on goods

Not as a private party. You might have to pay duty on something you buy but not on items you sell. It is the responsibility of the buyer.



However, you should consider the extra paperwork involved and the need for a trip to the shipper. I charge an extra $10.00 handling fee for these service to destinations outside the US. There is a place on the eBay selling form where you can do this.



Do not fall for offers from buyers to ship the item as an "unsolicited gift" in order to lower the amount of duty they will pay. This is dishonest and unlawful.



When you get a question like, "how much to ship to.....," I always give them the weight, tell them to go to the following USPS site, select the destination, and enter the weight. There are similar sites for other shipping services but I have found the USPS the easiest to use. http://postcalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mo鈥?/a>I want to sell things to the UK over Ebay - but I live in Miami; Do I have to pay import/export taxes on goods
You as the seller won't pay any import/export duties on the items. But you will fill up a customs form when you ship the item declaring the contents of the package -- and the buyer will pay the custom duties for those items



So as an eBay seller, it may be best to let the UK buyers know that they need to expect to pay duties on those items



However, if you feel magnanimous to the buyer, you can put in the custom form that those items are just samples so the buyer won't be taxed. But I know a lot of eBay sellers who thinks that is cheating (and rightly so), and wouldn't do that to their buyers -- though some do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment