Monday, February 20, 2012

Caught Between Miami University of Ohio and Baldwin-Wallace?

I've narrowed it down between Miami University of Ohio and Baldwin-Wallace College in Ohio.



I like Miami for its academics, campus and student size, and the fact that they group students with the same major together. That would make things easier knowing that I'm rooming with someone I will more than likely have classes with. There is also a lot to do on campus, and hockey is big. I think that's an interesting sport. I can see myself on campus, going to the library and ogling the big iMacs (LOVE THEM) while doing Chemistry homework and things like that. It is definitely a school that I would go to.



HOWEVER. I have heard that is a preppy, conservative school, and I am a liberal, artistic, open-minded young adult. I like to say what needs to be said. I don't particularly like to follow the crowd. I'll lead it, sure. But I digress. I did an overnight at Miami and hated it. I did not hate the campus or the things we did...it's just that the person I stayed with told me that many people drink, there are many parties, and it is preppy.



I've loved Baldwin-Wallace from the moment I first went there at the end of my junior year. It has been my number one for a while because I can see myself on campus and I just like the feel of it. The academics are great as well. Unlike Miami it is a not big party, conservative school, as far as I know. That is one thing that I like.



However, it is 30 minutes away from home (I live near Cleveland). My parents consider it a local school, like on the same level as Tri-C. They don't think I'd get the true college/independence thing there since it's so close, unlike MU. But I've really had my eyes on BW for a while. But now my opinion is changing and it's the worst time for this to be happening because D-Day is a few days away.



Keep in mind that I am going to college as a French major with a concentration in language and culture.



Basically, I'm torn between the two. My parents are wearing me down and telling me that BW is too close and I don't get a sense of independence. They're pitching for Miami because of the grouping thing they do, it's a nice campus, it's not so big that I'd get lost (unlike OSU), and it is a legit, as it is ranked number one in undergrad education (that's what they told me). Basically they think that Miami has all that I need. I would agree if it weren't for the fact that Miami is what it is (from what I've heard).



Or am I just being biased? I do love Miami, I really do, but I can't seem to lean towards it. But in the end I know that my parents will send me to Miami. Can any current students (or parents of current students), tell me what propelled them to go to Miami? Academics? Location or campus? I want to love this school. Either way my parents will make me go and if i do go, I do not want to be pouting or throwing a fit. I just want some reasons why Miami is the best place to go for me.Caught Between Miami University of Ohio and Baldwin-Wallace?
So you're open-minded, unless the students are conservative, preppy, drink or party. So you want to go to school with people just like you, which doesn't sound so open-minded. Miami is a school of nearly 15,000 students, which is a large enough school that you're going to find all kinds of people there. You might even find that you can't judge people by their preppy clothing. Miami is an excellent school, with a good reputation, an attractive campus, and a lower price tag than B-W. It also gives you a chance to experience life outside Cleveland, which is a definite plus. It also offers the potential for a big iMacs, more majors and a bigger life than Baldwin-Wallace.Caught Between Miami University of Ohio and Baldwin-Wallace?
I understand exactly where you're coming from. I know that Miami does has a considerable amount of conservatives, that's correct. However, I'd find it hard to believe that a liberal couldn't fit in on almost any campus in the United States, so I wouldn't let that bother you so much. However, I would like to say that if you really are leaning towards BW, and that is where you best see yourself next you, you really do need to do what's best for YOU. Miami is the better school, and I feel you'd be better off going there in the long run. BUT... If you don't enjoy your time there and would be uncomfortable or feel you belonged somewhere else, then that isn't where you need to be. Good luck with everything I hope everything clears up for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment