Thursday, February 23, 2012

I live in Miami and I have a friend coming to visit in Dec/Jan. Any suggestions on what we should do?

I've lived in Miami all my life, and I'm VERY over all the clubs and touristy things. My friend is from a VERY small town in the south and I'm not sure what he'd want to do. He doesn't like the Miami Beach scene, either, but I'm sure he'd want to do something fun and interesting. Any ideas? Any fun indie adventures?I live in Miami and I have a friend coming to visit in Dec/Jan. Any suggestions on what we should do?
You can go out to Shark Valley and bike the loop- if you don't have bikes they rent them- stop for sandwiches on the way or pack a lunch to eat midway on the ride. Bring the camera- you will see tons of alligators. We live here, and will sometimes take a day off and drive down to Islamorada for lunch on the water at Snappers or the Islamorada Fish Co. Jimbo's on Virginia Key should be seen once by everyone- you can hang out and play bocce ball and drink $2 beers, bring a fishing pole if you are into that. Then stop at the Hut (next to Marine Stadium) for lunch. You can go to the Fresh Market in Coconut Grove for sandwiches or lunch stuff and have a picnic at Wainright Park (much quieter than Kennedy or Peacock Park, right on the bay looking at Key Biscayne and the causeway) Hollywood Beach is nice for the day, and downtown Hollywood has some great little music spots that are not so god awful clubby. Metrozoo is lovely in the winter, if you go on a weekday its not so crowded. You can ride out Tamiami Trail, eat lunch at the Pit, or if you are up to the ride, go out and drive the Loop Road which is now paved (!) and has some beautiful scenery- if you are there at the right time, you can watch the idiots that show up to swim with the gators. Homestead Rodeo is sometime in January, and the Davie Rodeo arena has different events almost every weekend. Check the schedule for the theater department at UM, FIU, and Miami-Dade- they put on some great shows at low or no cost. You can do one of those day cruises to the Bahamas- its only about $100 each- just avoid buying drinks on the boat cause they really soak you. I'll add more if I think of anything else.I live in Miami and I have a friend coming to visit in Dec/Jan. Any suggestions on what we should do?
take him to a miami dolphins game
Go to some small towns on the coast- take him to see Key West. Either way, get out of Miami. It's a horrible place and I can't see any way a small town person would get anything oujt of being there.I live in Miami and I have a friend coming to visit in Dec/Jan. Any suggestions on what we should do?
I know how you feel. I ran out of things to do in South Florida, and thats a hard thing to do.



Hmm, perhaps a BBQ in a park... Broward's parks are real nice. Maybe a mountain bike ride... in oleta river which is on 163rd street and the beach...



Another idea is ...Bowling ? Paint Ball ? Boomers in 95 and stirlilng ? maybe.



Good luck.
Maybe take him down to the Keys, charter a boat and go deep sea fishing. I don't know any guy that doesn't like boats and fishing. Or maybe go snorkeling down there, and ride one of those big inflatable banana things, or jet ski.I live in Miami and I have a friend coming to visit in Dec/Jan. Any suggestions on what we should do?
I'm from Minnesota and have been to Miami a few times...but our best time was when we took a few days to drive down to Key West...even if you don't drive all the way there you can have fun just stopping at fun restaurants and beautiful beaches and great scenery.....or drive over the Alligator freeway to Naples and go to Marco Island.
south florida has some beautiful places to see.when i visited my daughter, i really enjoyed seeing all the different kinds of geography,, the ocean, the everglades, the farm country. do you think he'd like ocean fishing? scuba? snorkeling? there is a indie music scene there and art going on.......
I really liked the Everglades National Park. If he is into nature, he'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment